A year ago, I helped fund TUG, a multiplayer open world sandbox RPG, on Kickstarter and I just got my Steam Early Access key! Since it’s in alpha, it’s pretty crude right now, but it’s fun to see how it’s coming along.
Current version (Alpha 0.5.3918) feedback
- The procedurally-generated worlds are pretty neat and varying.
- You can interact with the environment and use resources to craft tools and weapons.
- Multiplayer support!
- There isn’t a tutorial or tooltips yet. I figured out how to gather resources on my own and eventually figured out how to open my inventory (by pressing “E” for some reason), but crafting is not at all obvious. Thank goodness for a helpful wiki! 🙂
- The drain on hunger felt excessive. My poor little character kept starving while I was figuring things out.
- No 3rd person camera view yet, from what I can tell. It’ll be in the finished game, though. Hurrah!
Overall, I think TUG has a lot of potential and I’m really excited about it. They have lots of really cool ideas (like characters that change and grow based on their diet and how you play them) and I think the finished game is going to be awesome.
Early access trailer
Want to play?
Get early access to the game + the full game at launch for $9.99 on Steam.